The first day to request an absentee for the May 1, 2018 election is January 31, 2018.
Who May Vote Absentee?
- Registered voters who are outside Blount County both during the early voting period and on Election Day during all hours when the polls are open
- Full-time students and spouses of students enrolled in an accredited college, university or similar accredited institution of learning outside of Blount County
- Permanent Absentee Voter (Requires a written statement from the person’s physician that the voter is medically unable to appear at his/her polling place or to vote early.) Click here to access the Physician Statement.
- Full-time resident of licensed nursing home, home for the aged, or similar licensed institution providing relatively permanent domiciliary care outside of Blount County
- Jurors serving in a State or Federal Court
- Persons over 60
- Candidates for office
- Election officials
- Individuals observing a religious holiday
- Sickness, physical disability, or hospitalization
- Voter with a disability and the polling place is inaccessible
- Caretaker of a person who is hospitalized, ill or physically disabled
- Person possessing a valid Commercial Driver License (or spouse of a person possessing a CDL) or Transportation Worker Identification Credential that will be out of the county during early voting and Election Day. (Must provide a copy of the CDL or TWIC card. If it’s a CDL, must provide the CDL #)
Requests to vote absentee may be received 90 days before each upcoming election. A voter may mail, fax or e-mail an attachment with the signed request to vote absentee to the Election Commission. Your request should include the following information:
- Residence address
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- The address outside the county where the ballot is to be sent, if applicable
- The election you want to vote in
- If the election is a primary, please list your party preference
- Reason for voting absentee. (If applicable, a copy of CDL or TWIC card must be provided. If it’s a CDL, must provide the CDL #)
- Voter’s signature
A request to vote absentee can be accepted up to 7 days prior to the election. Upon receipt and review of your signed request, the Election Commission will mail a set of absentee voting supplies to you. Please follow the instructions carefully, and be sure to contact the Election Commission at 865-273-5920 if you have any questions about your ballot. After completing the ballot and signing the accompanying affidavit, mail the ballot to the Election Commission.